Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Wake Me Up When September Ends!!

Well, I thought August was a bad month. Apparently, it wasn't over yet! Tuesday (wow, what is it with Tuesdays, hehe) I went to PWOC in the morning, and it was so neat to see how God has also given the ladies in my class the desire to share HIS love! I can't wait to see what doors will open because of this study! Then, Jadyn and I went with Elesha and her kiddos to their first OB appointment. It was so cool! We got to see the ultrasound and hear the baby's heartbeat. I am so honored that she let me go and take pictures for her. It was cool!

On the way back from the hospital I got a call from the school. It was about 4pm, and Jared should have been at running club. Apparently, he was found sitting down crying and "is acting strange"?? When I get there he is completely disoriented, and will not follow any commands. (squeeze my finger, blink your eyes, look at me...) he would cry for a few minutes, then fall asleep and wake up all confused. He would not talk at all! I decided to take him to the ER. Roxanne offered to go with me, but I thought we would be OK alone. I dropped Jadyn off at Monika's. Well, actually I gave her to Justin who was already at our house and told them both to go to Monika's that I would take Jared to the ER. I put her out of the car and left, lol. Guess that was kind of scary for Justin... I was so worried that I didn't think about it at the time. He called later that night because he couldn't sleep. Poor guy was worried for his brother too.

Anyway, I then decided that I would not drive him to the ER myself, so I drove him to the fire station a block over, and they took him by ambulance. He was still acting strange and would not sit up in the car or wear his seat belt right. When we got to the hospital they did all kinds of test. He had the doctors all stumped. They didn't know what was going on with him. The only thing they could figure was that he had a seizure and was taking a long time to come out of it... 8 hours!

They initially told me that whatever it was did not seem life threatening. His heart and lungs were great, but don't tell a momma that when he didn't even know who I WAS! That is life threatening to ME! He would fall asleep and then wake up scared and disoriented every time. It took three men to hold him down to get an IV. Jared normally doesn't mind shots or blood withdrawal of any kind, so this was strange for him. (I know he is weird, lol)

Speaking of Jared's silly quirks, he had the doctors and nurses laughing for a while because when they tried to remove his clothes he had on SIX pairs of UNDERWEAR! :)

They ended up putting him to sleep to do a lumbar puncture to check for meningitis or another infection of some sort, even though he did not have a fever. Then they decided to transport him to Providence Hospital PICU for better monitoring, and to see the neurologist. He FINALLY started to come around when he woke up from the anesthesia. It was slow, but the doctor at providence asked him a question and he shook his head yes. I about cried!!! YEA My heart was SO relieved! In the next hour he started talking and slowly "woke up". He didn't remember ANYTHING, except bumping his head after school and going to running club. But the head bump was not the problem. It happened about 40 minutes before they found him crying.

He was extremely tired, but the next day was about 90 percent and was ready to play! Thankfully Providence Children's Hospital has lots of stuff to play with, lol. He even got to see a cool dog that comes and helps out sick kids. It was neat. While we were there he had to do several test, including an EEG. The cool "electric hair" pictures are below!

The neurologist diagnosed him with Complicated Migraines. I got them when I was a teenager and after having babies. Mine were triggered by hormones. They have no idea what caused Jared's or if they will ever happen again. We just have to wait and see. Thankfully, he didn't get the headache pain to go with the confusion and seizure like symptoms.

He had his follow up appointment today, and it went well. Unfortunately though we will not have any answers until it/if it happens again.


Jared Shortly after he "woke up"


Katie the Therapy Dog


Getting ready for the EEG


Electric Hair


Katie gave Jared a book


He had to sit really still for the test, that was HARD!


The bathroom was in the room under the sink. He thought it was cool!


Getting ready to go HOME!


Going Home!

TO BE CONTINUED...

No comments: