Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Become Undignified

We are studying 2 Samuel in Sunday School. This week we discussed the ark and when David had it brought to Jerusalem. Because of the election we focused on the king and his responsibilities to the nation and the people. We talked about how we as believers are to PRAY and ENCOURAGE our president. This means that no matter who we voted for we have to believe that God has put Obama in place of our nation, and we should pray that God directs is heart and his actions in the upcoming years. In thinking about this idea I went back and reread the scriptures, but I came away with a totally different message this time. Isn't God's word awesome like that!

Look at the end of chapter 6. The ark of the covenant has just arrived at Jerusalem and David is celebrating and dancing about. His wife Michal (Saul's Daughter) does not think he is being "Kingly" and scold him if you will. I LOVE Davids response!

"It was before the LORD, who chose me rather than your father or anyone
from his house when he was appointed me ruler over the LORD"S people Israel - (I love
this part) I will celebrate before the LORD. I will become even more undignified than this, and I will be humiliated in my own eyes. But by these slave girls you spoke of, I will be held in honor." 2 Samuel 6:21-22

How often are we reserved or even ashamed to speak up or praise the Lord in public. He is the one who chose us and sent his son to die so that we could have life. I challenge you this week to be "undignified for the LORD". Watch for those open doors where you can share your faith and follow through. Praise God in everything you do. We may not have slave girls watching, but we have children, friends, family - the world!

In verse 23 it says that Michal was never blessed with her own children. What a punishment for being ashamed of her husbands love for the Lord. Do not be ashamed- be UNDIGNIFIED!

No comments: