Thursday, December 13, 2012

OK Here We Go....I Think!

     OK, so most of you know probably from Facebook that Jerome and I were praying about Homeschooling as we were preparing to move to Ft. Bliss.  The kids wanted to try school, so we let them.  But, I just can't get this out of my mind.  
     Let me tell you this school district is NOT military friendly AT ALLWell, they love for the military to help THEM that's for sure.  And the USASMA does an awesome job volunteering.  But they are like the Natzi attendance police or something.  That and I do not feel welcomed in the Elementary School AT ALL!  You get all kinds of strange looks every time you walk in the door!  They even cancelled the Parent Lunch Wednesday's.  The principal once stated at a PTA meeting that "it's OK if your child doesn't do well on the standardized testing, because that allows us to get more money for the school and tutoring programs"  Yes She Did! I got an idea.  How about you just teach my kid what he needs to be learning FIRST!
     I will say that it has nothing to do with Jared and Jadyn's Teachers!  They are both very nice and have always answered my questions!  (Oh man, I just realized I will need to coordinate Jadyn's Speech Class.  She should still get that right?) But I really think they both need more attention, and since I can not observe or help out in the classroom I really don't know anything about their learning.  This Teacher momma does NOT like it at all :) Jadyn says her work is too easy and Jared is struggling with comprehension and I don't think they have written a book report.  Shouldn't 4th graders be writing book reports or some writing?  I haven't seen anything like that. He has trouble writing complete sentences to answer questions. 
     So after just deciding TONIGHT that we are going to proceed with this plan to Homeschool we talked to the kids.  Justin is comfortable at his Middle School and I am OK with him staying there.  He is pretty much self sufficient when it comes to school and always has been, so he can stay at Ross. ...I guess.  But Jadyn and Jared both seemed pretty excited.  Jared really wanted to do it in August, but he went along with his siblings.  I'm gonna give them this weekend to ask questions and make sure they are ready.  But we have pretty much decided to do this.  Unless they are just absolutely against it, we will keep as planned.  I don't see that happening.

SO here is what I NEED:  HELP!  hahahaha!  Not with the teaching part, obviously I have experience in THAT area.  

I need to know from my TX Homeschool friends what I need to do to be Legal, if anything? Do I just withdraw them, pick a curriculum, and start?  Or do I have to file any paperwork or anything? I don't have time to read a bunch of just STUFF, lol.  I want just the basics so we can get started.

Also TX Peeps, Are there homeschool groups that meet for activities and such.  Jadyn is a SOCIAL BUTTERFLY!   I have to make sure she is meeting and learning with others occasionally or I will lose her! 

So I am leaning towards Abeka.  MAINLY because I have taught it in private school settings, so I know the curriculum.  Also, it is reasonably priced!  I am BROKE!  So we are relying on GOD to make this happen!   Donations Accepted ;)  But I am open to other programs if someone has a better idea.  

I am planning on just starting from the beginning of the material.  As we come across stuff they have already mastered we will skip it and move on.  Is this the best method for starting mid-year?  I want to finish the whole grade level so if it takes into summer then we will make it happen.

Lastly, well I guess this should have been FIRST!  Pray for ME!  I think this will be fun, but I have got to get organized and the financial obligation at first is a big thing as we are already on a tight budget.  I have like NO art or school supplies, as Jadyn always points out :)  I gotta get stocked!

All sorts of things are coming to me as I type... Khun Ya ( Jerome's Mom) is coming home with us for a while after Christmas.  This can be a good thing, as she can keep Jaxson entertained as we learn how to adjust to this new routine. 

Man, what are we doing?  LOL  It is going to be GREAT!  Who knows where the Lord (I mean Army) will send us this summer.  So if this works out it could be our family school for a while :)  

Thank you in advance for all your prayers and support!  
 

 


 

1 comment:

Aunt Deborah said...

Ginger..I have no doubt that you can do this!!! I'll keep you and the kids in my prayers as you get this going and will continue to pray that God leads y'all to the right place....YES I do mean closer home! I love y'all and can't wait to see y'all when you come home!