Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Continued - Tuesday

2 Corinthians 12:9 (The Message)

7-10 Because of the extravagance of those revelations, and so I wouldn’t get a big head, I was given the gift of a handicap to keep me in constant touch with my limitations. Satan’s angel did his best to get me down; what he in fact did was push me to my knees. No danger then of walking around high and mighty! At first I didn’t think of it as a gift, and begged God to remove it. Three times I did that, and then he told me,
My grace is enough; it’s all you need.
My strength comes into its own in your weakness.
Once I heard that, I was glad to let it happen. I quit focusing on the handicap and began appreciating the gift. It was a case of Christ’s strength moving in on my weakness. Now I take limitations in stride, and with good cheer, these limitations that cut me down to size—abuse, accidents, opposition, bad breaks. I just let Christ take over! And so the weaker I get, the stronger I become.

I can't say that I am "glad it happened" yet.  But, the light is getting brighter and I can see that God is still here with me no matter what.  I can chose to be bitter and angry that this happened to our family or I can praise the Lord that NOTHING DID happen to our baby!  I chose the Praise :)  But I do want to make sure the hospital knows about this blatant disrespect on the doctors part and to stress the importance of actually spending time with patients and getting the whole story before jumping up and calling abuse.  So Yesterday morning I went to Patient Advocacy to voice my concern and to get a SAME DAY Dermatology appointment!  I was not leaving the hospital without one, lol.  

So the guy at patient advocacy was very nice and seemed to just try and make me feel better about the whole thing.  He, much like the trend at the clinic, just made excuses for the hasty call to CPS.  He said he can't dictate when doctors call them OR under what circumstances.  I get that!  That is not what I wanted to do by no means.  I tried to explain to him that I am a teacher.  I know about obligation to report.  However, I felt the doctor reported without ANY facts what so ever!  She didn't even complete the well baby visit or hear me out completely.  She even put in his report that I was the only care giver and he does NOT attend any childcare.  Um, not true I told her he goes once a week to hourly and once a week to PWOC nursery.  Not that I thought either of these places touched him or anything, but if it's a viral thing he could have picked it up there.  If she had actually listened to me and called the CDC she would have known and we could have just stayed at the hospital and waited the biopsy results to prove it was viral.  He just nodded and did nothing about this part.  So I went home and wrote it all in an ICE report, along with a bunch of other ones on this whole eventful week!  Her name is Dr Seidenstein if any of you locals are wondering who NOT to see.

He reported the one doctor for his rude behavior to the pharmacist and myself.  Dr. Spuller is his name. 

Now Dermatology he could handle, thank goodness!  He called down and asked Dr Clifford to call us back and possibly see us again as soon as possible.  Her secretary said it was possible and she would call back by 2pm.  So we showed a little grace in the situation (hahaha) and went home for lunch and a nap.

A little bit later dermatology called to book an appointment for Jadyn that came through the referral.  WHAT? Jadyn has never even been seen here at Ft Bliss yet.   Dr. Spuller had put the referral in for HER just like he did the prescription.  The secretary said I would need to call him to get him to change it to Jaxson.  I told her no way was I going to talk to him or I might lose it, lol.  After explaining Monday's events she said not to worry she would just go through PA.  She called back a few minutes later and asked if we could just bring Jadyn too.  Since the investigation is still open (waiting on blood results) and now I have another child in the system with "molluscum in the peri anal area"  It is probably a good thing to just get her looked at and cleared.  It was not required, she said she could just cancel her appointment.  But you know at this point I don't want any more questions.  Jadyn is clear.  No molluscum anywhere!  Goofy but done.

I can not say enough good things about Dr. Clifford.  Too bad SHE is not a pediatric doctor.  She remembered us of course and had me come in at 3:20.  She told me that she suggested waiting on the biposy, but the doctor at the clinic had already called CPS and there was nothing she could do to stop it at that point.  Deep Breath Ginger!  Seriously, if Dr. Seidenstein had spent more than FIVE minutes with us then OK, but no she didn't even get a complete physical.  AHHH!  What is done is done, move on.  That is all I can do at this point. 

Treatment:  Well the spots are basically on the top of the skin.  They don't really itch him that I can tell, but can spread to other parts of the body if not covered or treated.  Basically it is an autoimmune viral disease.  Which means that the white blood cells really don't detect it.  So the way to treat it is to trick the immune system into recognizing the virus.  She treated 3 of the spots on the butt cheek with the intention of getting them inflamed.  This will hopefully cause the white blood cells to attack and tell the immune system that there are more so he will heal himself.  It is a slow process and he has to go back monthly to have more treated until they are gone.  Hopefully the ones right on his bottom will heal themselves and we wont have to aggravate them.  those three are a little sore now and he has to keep them covered so he won't spread them to other parts by touching.  But Thank goodness we can get back to NORMAL!

Praying that the CPS worker will call us back soon and the whole investigation will be closed out.  All the SNAP paperwork for CDC is filled out and Jax can go back to playing with his friends once a week now.  He actually gets to go tomorrow while I have a physical and get the results of some blood work I had done.  Praying that MY doctor is at least competent and will LISTEN to me.  If not we are going Standard!  If you have a GREAT pediatric physician at the Biggs clinic, or anywhere on Bliss, please let me know who it is!

I am learning that it is all about who ya get when it comes to your impression of the military hospitals.  We had wonderful doctors at Elmendorf and hardly had any issues. But I was talking to a friend today that switched to Standard there b/c of a horrible experience.  So if I can get the right doctor then it will be OK.  But I am not going to put quality care over a copay when it comes to my kids!

On a completely unrelated note, just remember that THIS is government run health care at its best!  There are lots more important issues at hand, but your voice is important! Go and VOTE this year!!!  




 

1 comment:

tncboyer said...

OH MY GOODNESS, so I EVER understand the frustration! I swear they send all the good docs to Alaska! HAHA! I can't even find a good one here, even off post, so we've stopped going at all! LOL! Good luck finding one there!